More recalls and an advisory have been issued for self-balancing scooters and hoverboards. Many of these products have caused fires, injuries and accidents.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (UPSC) issued an urgent advisory to consumers to stop using LayZ Board hoverboards after the boards were involved in yet another house-destroying fire in Manchester Township, Pennsylvania.
This follows a house fire in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, where two young girls died. A Harrisburg firefighter also died when his car crashed on the way to the fire.
Along with the “stay-away” LayZ Board UPSC advisory, 7 other brands have been recalled.
The problem with the recalled hoverboards, as stated in each recall notice is: “The lithium-ion battery packs in the self-balancing scooters/hoverboards can overheat, posing a risk of the products smoking, catching fire and/or exploding.”
The 7 brands of recalled self-balancing scooters/ hoverboards are listed below. Consumers should immediately stop using these recalled scooters/hoverboards.
· Smart Balance Wheel Self-Balancing Scooters/ Hoverboards by Salvage World due to explosion and fire hazards. Consumers can contact: Salvage World toll-free at 888-726-9603 from 10 a.m. 6 p.m. CT Monday through Friday or online at www.salvageworldllc.com and click on Recall Notice for more information.
· Drone Nerds Self-Balancing Scooters/ Hoverboardsdue to explosion and fire hazards. Consumers can contact: Drone Nerds toll-free at 888-785-7543 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, email at email@example.com or online at www.dronenerds.com and click on “Recall Notice” for more information.
· Go Wheels Self-Balancing Scooters/ Hoverboards by Four Star Imports due to fire and explosion hazards; sold exclusively at Village Mart. Consumers can contact Four Star Imports at 800-780-5231 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. CT or online at www.villagemart.com and click on Recall Notice.
· .iHoverspeed Self-Balancing Scooters/ Hoverboards by Simplified Wireless due to fire hazard. Simplified Wireless toll-free at 833-220-1212 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
· iLive Self-Balancing Scooters/ Hoverboards by Digital Products due to fire hazard. Contact DPI at 800-311-9263 Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT or online at www.iliveelectronics.com and click on “Recall Notice” for more information.
· Tech Drift Recalls Self-Balancing Scooters/Hoverboards due to fire and explosion hazards. Tech Drift at 800-491-0264 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. PT Monday through Friday or email email@example.com for more information.
· Sonic Smart Wheels Self-Balancing Scooters/Hoverboards by Dollar Mania due to explosion and fire hazards. Dollar Mania toll-free at 844-333-4457 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. CT Monday through Friday or online on the Dollar Mania Facebook page for more information.
For more information and images of all the recalled products, go to: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls?page=1