Fidget spinners may offer some kids a release from built up tension, but in the hands of toddlers & preschoolers, they could be dangerous, doctors warn.
A 3-year-old boy and a 4-year-old girl suffered severe esophageal burns after they swallowed button batteries from fidget spinners, according to one new report.
Two other case reports describe esophageal injuries suffered by children who swallowed broken fidget spinner parts, but no batteries. The pieces were removed by emergency endoscopy.
Batteries can cause serious burns when they come in contact with bodily fluids. In children’s toys, batteries are usually well secured, but in devices not made specifically for children, that’s not always the case.
The new reports add to growing evidence about the hazards fidget spinners pose, especially to toddlers and young children.
"Having an unlabeled button battery in a toy or product that children can handle and break poses a potential danger to children," Drs. Athos Bousvaros and Paul Rufo, of Boston Children's Hospital, wrote in a journal news release.
Fidget spinners are available just about anywhere you go. They’re sold at gas stations, stores and big toy chains. They’ve actually been around for years and are often given to children with autism to help them concentrate. In the last year, their popularity has exploded. The gadgets appeal to adults as well as kids.
Doctors are issuing a warning to parents to make sure that they are aware of the possible dangers to the younger kids in a household.
The reports are described in the January/February issue of the Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition.